Saturday, January 26, 2008

What's in a Name?

I've been "Bayfrog" on several other sites for years... but I can't be on Blogger. That's because I'm not the only one who thought that this would be a cutesy name for a French expatriate living in the San Francisco Bay Area. A certain "Dr. Ni" -- his profile handle -- has already cornered the bayfrog.blogspot.com URL.

It's a sign of the Internet age that the namespace is so densely populated, I guess. And that may be a good thing. Oh well, I'll use my real name -- not that I am usually shy about that anyway. As Scott McNealy of Sun Microsystems said a few years ago, "you have no privacy -- get over it!"

When I moved from California to Houston (whether that was a moment of insanity or not will never be known, since we don't have a record of a parallel universe in which I would not have moved, so that we could compare the results of the two options), the "Bayfrog" nickname seemed out of place, but then I moved to Boston a few years later, and stayed over three years. Since Massachusetts is known as the "Bay State," I was like a fish in water again, so to speak. Now I'm back in Houston, but what's in a name? I guess it doesn't matter here anyway.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bayfrog,

Nice to see you on the real blogosphere! Some nice initial commentaries...
A bientôt!
--FVTer