Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Answer is Fourty-Two

Here are the Kindle books I read in 2014:
  1. Tom DeMarco: Andronescu's Paradox
  2. Gaston Leroux: Le Mystère de la Chambre Jaune
  3. Herman Melville: Moby Dick
  4. Alexandre Dumas: Le Comte de Monte-Cristo
  5. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  6. Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter
  7. Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
They were all free, except the first and the last, so I spent less than $20 altogether, and had the books with me all the time, allowing me to read a couple in parallel when I wanted some variety (the Kindle app on a phablet is really nice for those long lines at the airport).

I just started Walter Isaacson's multi-biography of computer innovators, but it will have to count as a 2015 accomplishment, in part because I dropped it to read HHG2G on a whim, which was fun. And I want to resume reading Peter Saccio's The English Kings (an erudite comparison between the plays of Shakespeare and the actual history of the corresponding kings of England in the 15th and 16th centuries) and Machiavelli's The Prince, this wonderfully cynical political treatise, both of which I set aside for a while.

I also have Jane Eyre loaded up, and, dare I say it, War and Peace. I have no idea whether I will touch them in 2015 or not. I also need to find some Spanish-language classics to help build my vocabulary. Advice is welcome!

No comments: