Thursday, February 28, 2008

Art and Virtual Friendship

I thought I'd start with "Art and..." for the heck of it. But it's interesting that three times in a row, a performance made me want to blog.

Tonight's notes for Respighi's orchestration of Rachmaninoff's "Cinq Etudes - Tableaux" said: The seascape portrayed in the central étude is an especially masterly orchestration, employing high woodwind and violin solos to depict the lonely cries of seagulls, cascading string passages for the crashing waves and rich, even-flowing notes in the lower orchestra to suggest the constant rhythm of the ocean depths."

And so my thoughts went to someone I've never met, a "friend" on Facebook, who recently wrote on his "wall" that for him, the ideal person was someone who would know to take him to the ocean, even if he hadn't told him that he loved it. And I daydreamed about meeting him some day, and taking him to eat lunch near the seaside, and then walking on the beach together, just basking in our common love of this feeling of being near this immense power of the sea, feeling good that I was fulfilling one of his desires, and perhaps even that I had surprised him by remembering what he had once written.

So tonight, as I'm back home and the day is seriously winding down, I'm grateful to my yet-unmet friend that he gave me the opportunity to feel better (and I needed that today...), even in my imagination.

Thank you -- you know who you are!

No comments: